Monday, June 26, 2017

Devils Introduce Nico Hischier in Press Conference



The first ever No. 1 overall draft pick in New Jersey Devils history was officially introduced Monday afternoon, as Nico Hischier alongside Devils GM Ray Shero and head coach John Hynes at Prudential Center in Newark. 

Speaking to the large cluster of New York media for the first time, Hischier was all laughs while sporting the Devils sweater in the concourse-turned-press room at Prudential Center. 

"I knew that I can [get drafted No. 1] but at the end it was surprising for me -- I didn't know anything -- but I'm pretty happy right now," Hischier said Monday. "I'm really, really happy and excited to join such a great team."

Speaking at the press conference was just another stop on the tour for Hischier, a native of Halifax, Switzerland, whose adventurous week in New York and New Jersey happened to be his first time ever in the area. In addition to addressing the media Monday, Hirschier visited Newark City Hall and Hobby's Delicatessen, where he had a sandwich named after him earlier Monday. Over the weekend, he was welcomed at Yankee Stadium before the Yankees-Rangers game on Sunday, and he visited the soccer pitch at Red Bull Stadium to take in a match between the NY Red Bulls and NYCF on Saturday. 

It's safe to say he was given the star treatment. 

"It was my first time [in the New York-Metropolitan area]. It is different [than Switzerland], it's huge -- I think New York is bigger than Switzerland with all the people," said the 18-year-old. "I mean, I got my own sandwich now, so it's pretty fun here and they welcome me really nice. I like it so far."


While he hasn't even played a game in the NHL yet, Hirschier has already made a huge impact on the Devils fanbase -- a fanbase yearning for the team to make the playoffs for the first time since it's Stanley Cup run in 2012. Bringing much buzz to the franchise, Hirschier will add a dimension of offense and defense from the center position that should greatly improve the Devils this upcoming season. 

"It was important for us to draft the player that we thought for our organization had the skill set that we might need most. We're happy with Nico," Devils GM Ray Shero said. 

Hirschier will have an opportunity to begin earning a spot on the 2017-18 Devils squad in early July, when Skills Camp begins. 

"I really just want to win every game so I never give up," says Hirschier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment