Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Brad Richards Announces Retirement After 15 Seasons in NHL




Brad Richards announced his retirement from the National Hockey League after 15 seasons and 1,126 regular season games. 

Richards, 36, spent those 15 years playing for the Tampa Bay Lightning, New York Rangers, Dallas Stars, Chicago Blackhawks and the Detroit Red Wings, scoring 298 goals and 634 assists over that span of time. 

During the 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Championship run with the Lightning, he won the Conn Smythe Trophy as Most Valuable Player throughout the playoffs. That championship run he put up 26 points, including seven game winning goals in 23 games, as he helped the Bolts hoist the Stanley Cup. He won the Stanley Cup again following the 2015 season, with the Blackhawks.

This past season he scored 10 goals and 18 assists in 68 games with the Red Wings. 

In a statement from the NHL Players Association, Richards said, “I want to thank the fans and the five organizations I have played for; Tampa Bay, Dallas and the three ‘Original Six,’ New York Rangers, Detroit and Chicago. During my time with those teams, I met many great people. I want to thank the staff and management of those organizations for all the help and support they gave me.”

He added, “I appreciate all of the trainers who did tireless work to help me play and keep me healthy. I had many amazing teammates and made many great friendships along the way that I truly appreciate, and I will never forget the times we had together. Thank you to all my coaches for pushing, teaching and giving me the opportunity to play this great game. Winning Stanley Cups in Tampa Bay and Chicago was the best part of my career and I will never forget these moments. Nothing compares to enjoying that night with your team and knowing what you have accomplished together.”

The Lightning drafted Richards in the third round, 64th overall, of the 1998 NHL Entry Draft. After scoring 21 goals and 20 assists during his rookie season, he finished second in the 2001 Calder Trophy voting for Rookie of the Year. Over the first six seasons of his career, the center, born in Murray Harbor, Prince Edward Island, averages 73 points per season. 

Richards represented Canada in the 2004 World Cup of Hockey as well as the 2006 Torino Winter Olympics. 

Richards also added, “Most importantly I want to thanks my mom [Delite] and dad [Glen] and my sister [Paige] for being behind me since I was a young child. And of course, my wife, Rechelle and son Luca, now for making this decision easier because I will be able to spend more time with them.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment