Tuesday, July 12, 2016

New Jersey Devils Add Ryane Clowe to the Coaching Staff




The New Jersey Devils announced on Tuesday that they have added former forward Ryane Clowe to the coaching staff.

The 33-year-old Clowe will join Alain Nasreddine, Geoff Ward and goaltender coach, Chris Terreri on head coach, John Hynes staff for the 2016-2017 season. 

Hynes told the team’s website, “We are looking forward to Ryane to joining our staff. His character, expertise as a player, knowledge of the game and passion to coach will be a be a benefit to our players and the Devils’ organization.”
 
The Devils signed Clowe to a five-year, 24.25 million-dollar contract prior to the 2013 National Hockey League season. In 56 games with the Devils between 2013 and 2015, he has put up eight goals and 22 assists. 

After suffering from concussions, the Devils placed Clowe on the long-term injured reserve list during the 2014-2015 NHL season. While he has not officially retired, this past September he told Northjersey.com that he did not feel he would be able to lace them up anymore. 

Clowe said, “I did not know [assistant general manager] Tom Fitzgerald or [general manager] Ray Shero, John Hynes, or any of the coaching staff, besides Chris Terreri who was here [when I played], so it was all new and I feel very fortunate that they gave me the opportunity to stay around.” 

He added, “Not a lot of guys get to stay in the game right away, as soon as they are done playing, especially for me. I was only 33 years old. To get the opportunity John and Ray gave me right away, to be involved with the coaching staff and also do some stuff outside like some scouting and some stuff on the management side, it was a great resource. I got to feel out what I wanted to do and right away, I think coaching was something that stood out. This is where my passion is.”

The fact that he is only about a year removed from the action on the ice, will help him relate to the players on the roster. He added, “I know there is a learning curve here. It is an opportunity to be with this coaching staff, which I found out last year was a great staff.”  

During the last lockout, Clowe did some coaching with the San Francisco Bulls of the ECHL, which helped lead him towards a coaching career, once he was done playing. 

The San Jose Sharks selected Clowe with the 175th overall pick, in the sixth round of the 2001 NHL Draft. Between the Devils, Sharks and New York Rangers, he was able to put up 112 goals and 197 assists in 491 games over 10 seasons. 

His career high, was when he scored 24 goals and 38 assists, in 2010-2011 with the Sharks. 

Clowe said, “I know the commitment to coaching is something that you really got to be mentally prepared for. Obviously, the players get to go home a little bit earlier, the coaches grind it out a bit more, but for me I am looking forward to it. Last year being away from the game, I wanted more, more hours, more time to be around. I am just looking to dive in, and I am hungry to get started.”

No comments:

Post a Comment