Sunday, July 31, 2016

Tyson Barrie and Colorado Avalanche Agree to Four Year $22 Million Deal




The Colorado Avalanche and defenseman, Tyson Barrie as they reached an agreement on a four year, 22 million-dollar deal on Sunday. 

Barrie told the Denver Post, “It is really nice to get it done. As you know, it was a bit of a process. Arbitration is not fun to go through, but it is part of the business, and I am excited the Avalanche has shown faith in me. I am happy to be a part of this team for the next four years and try to be a part of something special.”

The 25-year-old had an arbitration hearing on Friday in Toronto. He asked for a one year, six million-dollar contract, while the Avalanche presented the arbitrator with a two year, 8.25 million-dollar deal for the defenseman. 

A decision was scheduled to be made by the arbitrator on Sunday, but the two sides reached a settlement, before the decision was handed down. 

Barrie added, “I do not think we are allowed to comment too much on the arbitration, but it is not fun. I get that it is a business, and we say good things, they say bad things, and it is what it is. I am just happy to have this done. I am a Colorado Avalanche for the next four years.” 

He continued, “Looking back now it was an experience. I feel like I am a better person for it. I have gotten to know the business a little bit better. It had to be done. Here we are, we ended up getting a deal done and in the end, I think we are both happy with it. At the end of the day, it is nice to get it done. I am ready to move past this and move on and have a good relationship moving forward. There are no hard feelings on my side. I am looking forward to joining the guys in September.”
 
During the 2015-2016 National Hockey League season, Barrie scored 13 goals and 36 assists in 78 games. His 13 goals tied a career high for the defenseman. Five of the goals were game winners for Colorado. 

The Victoria, British Columbia native put up three goals and 18 assists on the power play during the past season. His future with the Avalanche is pretty much secure through the 2019-2020 NHL season.
Barrie said, “It is some security. It is nice not to play for a deal every year. With that being said, I have a long way to go as a player, and I know that. There is another level to my game that I am looking to take it to and really become that next level defenseman in this league. This deal represents that and it is something that I am going take pride in”  

Colorado drafted Barrie in the third round, 64th overall of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. In 264 games he has scored 40 goals and 113 assists for the Avalanche. 

Barrie added, “They are looking for me to step up and help the younger guys. I am 25 now, and I think it is a good opportunity for me to step up and become a leader.”  

Barrie becomes the 25 and final NHL player that filed for arbitration to sign a new contract. 

No comments:

Post a Comment